CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 9, 2009

Just call me Paula Dean...if ya know what I mean!

Madison is quite the crawler these days. She loves to pull herself up around the house. She likes to try to pull herself up in the kitchen and bathroom, but I don't let her since we have tile floors. We are so afraid she will hurt herself in these rooms! I bought Madison some new "big girl" pajamas at Wal-Mart today. They are size 12 month! She is getting so big.

Our little crawler...
Tonight, I cooked a good southern meal...fried pork chops, turnip greens, french rice, and a yummy salad with homemade ranch. (my favorite dressing.)

You've got to try the French Rice. I got this recipe from Gabe's mom and it is by far one of my favorite dishes.
French Rice
10 1/2 oz. can French onion soup (undiluted)
1 stick melted butter
4 1/2 oz. can mushrooms
8 oz. can sliced water chestnuts
1 cup uncooked regular rice
Combine soup and butter. Stir well. Drain mushrooms and chestnuts reserving liquid. Add enough water to liquid to make 1 1/3 cup. Add mushrooms, chestnuts, liquid, and rice to soup mixture. Stir and pour into lightly greased 10x6x2 dish. (I use a rectangular corningware dish and prepare it all in the dish.) Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

I very rarely ever make desserts, mostly because I'm a cook...not a baker. But, tonight I thought Gabe really needed a chocolate pie. Just Gabe...not me... ;)
I used Gabe's grandmother's recipe. You should try it out. Now keep in mind that most grandmothers do not actually use recipes. They just know their recipes!

Mema's Chocolate Pie
1 cup sugar
3 slightly heaped T. flour
3 T. cocoa
2 cups milk (can use evaporated milk)
3 eggs
couple T. butter
In a cast iron skillet, mix sugar, flour, and cocoa. In a separate bowl, beat eggs and milk. Add egg and milk mixture to skillet with dry ingredients. Cook on medium heat, constantly stirring until mixture becomes thickened. Take off heat and stir in butter. Pour into baked pie shell. Can top with meringue if you would like.

0 comments:

Post a Comment